Top ten summer cooking secrets:
10. Punch your thumb in the middle of a meat patty before grilling to make a little indent. Keeps the patty level and promotes even cooking.
9. Hold the ends of asparagus spears in each hand and bend until they snap. Discard the tough base.
8. If you're making pastry, grate cold butter on the large side of a grater.
7. Always let meat sit 5-15 minutes before cutting to seal in juices.
6. Add lemon or lime zest to salads or sauces for extra zip.
5. No matter how you cook fish, don't turn it.
4. Use the freshest vegetables possible.
3. Add herbs and spices early in the process for a subtle taste. For more pop, add just before serving.
2. Keep your knives sharp.
And the #1 summer cooking secret:
1. Cook with wine - and don't forget to save some for the food :)