Writing With Your Horoscope



It's time for you to move beyond any logical concerns you have about your creative abilities and just let your natural talent take over. This may require a higher level of trust than you've previously attained, but with five planets in your 5th House of Self-Expression, the only thing that can hold you back is your fear of success. You have the vision and the ingenuity, so get out of your own way and let it flow.
 
That's my horoscope for today, Monday, March 1, 2010.

Sometimes my writing life needs something to kick it in gear. I think this will do it today.

I've been plugging away at the editing process on my WIP, and thinking a bit about the next manuscript. But I've let the querying process on a previous one slide to the bottom of the hill.

Today I have three things on my writing plate:
  1. Edit the next scene.
  2. Tackle the synopsis again.
  3. Send at least three new queries.
I need to trust that I'm moving in the right direction. Have I been standing in my own way? I have no idea. But I do believe that we're not always aware of the barriers we erect.

So for sure if you're a Scorpio, go back and reread our message for today.

If you're not, go back and read it again anyway. Forget it's a horoscope.

Those words are plain good advice for all writers any day of the week. We need to trust in whatever talent we have. Our talent, not someone else's. Write the stories we want to write. Not the stories our favorite authors have written. Not the stories that follow a trend we don't enjoy reading.

Write the story you want to read.

When we do that, we write from our hearts.

Fear of success? A lot of people have this, not just writers. How can you tell? I found this article that has an interesting quiz. And a few more that covered some more obvious signs.

Think positive. Trust your instincts. Write with gusto.

Be a winner.

Comments

What a perfect horoscope for a writer. I bet you zip through your goals today. I’m not a Scorpio, but I think I’ll pretend I am today. I also think I’ll add reading my horoscope to my daily to do list. On some days, that little extra push might come in handy.
Aubrie said…
Hey, I'm a scorpio! And what a great horoscope for you. Good luck with your queries!
Southpaw said…
"Write the story you want to read."
Best advice ever.
Mason Canyon said…
It amazes me how some days the horoscope can be so totally what you need to get you going. Some days it says things that have no meaning to your life and then there are days you wonder if someone is looking over your shoulder when they write your horoscope that day. Good luck with your list. Sounds like everything is lined up just right to make it work.
Arlee Bird said…
I don't really believe in horoscopes but I always read them. I like those well written generic ones that have pretty wise advice no matter what day it is or who the message is directed to.

I took that quiz but I didn't understand the scoring and all. Maybe I was missing something. My score was -2 out of 13 which doesn't sound good, but I couldn't figure it out.

Lee
Joanne said…
Thanks for making this everyone's horoscope. I don't think that anyone, writer or not, can read this and not believe just a little more in their own passion, in their abilities. Oh the power of words :)
Carol Kilgore said…
Jane - I'm working on it. I don't know about you, but I'll take all the extra pushes I can get.

Aubrie - Scorpios rule!

Southpaw - I think so, too. I read it someplace before I wrote it here.

Mason - I feel that way, too.

Arlee - I took the test, too. I think a lower score means you're less inclined to sabotage your success. Most of the questions had to do with how focused you are and how much you allow other people and things to get in your way. My impression anyway.

Joanne - I totally agree.
I WANT to be a Scorpio...and today, Like Jane, I think I'll declare myself one. I feel better already.

Best Wishes, Galen
Imagineering Fiction Blog
Laura Eno said…
Good advice always! :) Thanks for the link to the article. You're right, we should always write the story that we want to read, not what's trending.
Great motivation! I hope you have a successful writing/editing day. And tomorrow your horoscope can read: Wonderful job. You will soon be published.
Great point about thinking positive, Carol. Sometimes I think I'm my own worst enemy!

I'm an Aries, but I'll adopt your horoscope. :)

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Carol Kilgore said…
Everyone is welcome to share today's Scorpio horoscope. The more the merrier.

My day was good. Not perfect, but good. And I sent a few queries, too.
Mary Gray said…
OH the query wars are tough. I hope you can find some interest!! It was such a humbling experience for me. Let us know what someone bites!!!
Kathy McIntosh said…
Wow, that is a perfect horoscope for all creative types.
I'm going to pretend it's my horoscope today (Thursday!) and beyond.
Thanks for your wisdom.
Carol Kilgore said…
Go for it! Life is what you make it.

.