France 1 - Pirates 0

Maybe the Somali pirates should invest in a current copy of Jane's Fighting Ships.

This morning pirates fired on a French Navy vessel in international waters off the coast of Somalia. The French refueling ship La Somme gave chase and captured five suspected pirates.

Speculation is the pirates thought the French vessel was a commercial tanker.

Another example of why books are important.

And another example of why piracy on any scale is - or should be - a concern to be dealt with by the international community.

See Helen Ginger's Straight From Hel post yesterday about book pirates.

A pirate is a pirate is a pirate. Let's not let them win on any front.

Comments

Helen Ginger said…
You are so clever. You gave me info I had not heard (about the pirates firing on a French ship) and then segued into book pirates. (And mentioned my blog in the process!)

I'm with you. Let's stop all pirates. It's time to bring out the big guns.

Helen
Straight From Hel
Carol Kilgore said…
Pirates really tick me off. It's a situation that's going to get worse before anyone cares enough to do anything about it, with either ships or books.

I live to link!
Elspeth Futcher said…
Fictional pirates are fun. Real pirates (whether they sail the high seas or the internet) not so much.

However, if they looked like Johnny Depp, I might change my mind...; )

Elspeth
Carol Kilgore said…
Yeah for Johnny Depp!

Alas, he's Hollywood.

I've always been somewhat enamored of all those old pirates, Jean Lafitte, and the rest. But seeing these bad 21st Century boys in action . . . not so much.

.