Oooh, What's This?

Curiosity.

They say it killed the cat.

That's the left brainers talking.

Writers - and other right brainers - know curiosity by other names. It's our spark, our muse, our subconscious, our what-if.

We see one thing and want to know a thousand bits of information about it.

It's what we use to get to that core of emotion we seek to get across to our readers. That essence of personality we want our readers to understand about our characters.

Our curiosity is a gift to be fed and nutured.

How do we do that?

By not being afraid to explore.

Walk down those lanes that intrigue you, physically as well as mentally and emotionally.

See what lurks behind the cobwebs in the corners of your mind.

You might be surprised by what you find.

Comments

Craig Hart said…
This is the best answer to those "Where do you get your ideas?" questions. You get ideas by asking questions. By training your mind to think like a writer, always wondering, "What if...? How...? Why...?"
Carol Kilgore said…
Thank you, Jack.

I imagine all of us are full of questions all the time.
Angela said…
Dear Carol, that was nice - allowing me to be what I am! Curious by nature! And sometimes, when I ask people my sideways questions, I see that look, that "hmmm, I had not thought about this before"-look. And I love it, especially in children. Asking questions is the first step to THINK!

Oh, so you live in San Antonio? That is the place of Max` dreams! If I give you my address, could you send him a picture postcard???
Carol Kilgore said…
I get that look a lot, too, Angela. Probably most writers do.

Sure, I'll be happy to send a postcard. Send the address to:
tikihuttime [at] gmail [dot] com

And put the address the usual email way, of course. I'm hoping spammers can't pick up the address this way.

.